Why wasn't all my trash collected?
- Too many bags and/or cans.
- Individual bag and/or cans was overweight (50lb max.).
- Individual bag and/or can was too large (32 gallon max.).
- Article placed for collection was too large to fit in the compactor of the truck.
- Trash was placed for collection in boxes.
- Furniture, water heaters, stoves, washers, dryers, etc. are not collected.
How can I report a nuisance public tree?
Contact Public Works at City Hall by voice, email, or letter. The condition of the tree will be evaluated by City staff and appropriate action taken.
Are there reduced water rates for filling swimming pools or irrigating lawns and gardens?
No. All billings for water and sanitary sewer charges are based solely on volume of water used.
What codes apply to buildings in Kewanee?
- 2012 International Building Code.
- 2012 International Residential Code.
- 2012 International Property Maintenance Code.
- 2012 International Mechanical Code.
- 2014 National Electrical Code, or most recent version, this changes every two years.
- 2014 State of Illinois Plumbing Code.
- 2012 International Fire Prevention Code.
When is a building permit required?
- Constructing or altering a structure. Structures includes buildings, houses, garage, all swimming pools over 24, or more, inches deep, storage shed, gazebo, yard barns, whether portable or not.
- Constructing an addition to a structure.
- Changing the pitch on a roof.
- Installation of metallic siding on a building.
- Demolish or move a structure.
- Change the occupancy of a structure. For example changing an office building into a restaurant.
There is no licensing required for obtaining building permits. All work must be done in compliance with the 2012 International Building Code, 2012 International Residential Building Code, 2012 International Property Maintenance Code, 2012 BOCA National Fire Prevention Code, Illinois Accessibility Code and Kewanee Zoning Regulations.
When is a building permit not required?
- Replacing the roof covering of a building.
- Installation of non-metallic siding.
- Installation of a swimming pool less than 24 inches deep.
- Replacing an existing porch with another porch of the same size.
- Non-structural repairs and routine maintence to existing structures. This may be such items as replacing windows, replacing roof coverings, painting, etc.
When is an electrical permit required?
- Installation of any new electrical wiring or equipment.
- Alterations to any electrical wiring or equipment.
- Additions to any electrical wiring or equipment.
Only licensed electricians may perform electrical work, with the exception that a person may perform electrical work at their residence. No matter who does the work, it all must be done in compliance with the 2014 National Electrical Code and Kewanee City Code.
When is a plumbing permit required?
- Installation of new piping or plumbing fixtures.
- Installation of new water and/or sanitary sewer service.
- Additions to existing piping or plumbing fixtures.
- Alterations to existing piping or plumbing fixtures.
- Any changes in piping to or from fixtures, or the removal, replacement, installation, or re-installation of piping or plumbing fixtures.
Only licensed plumbers may perform plumbing work, with the exception that a person may perform plumbing work at their residence. No matter who does the work, it all must be done in compliance with the State of Illinois Plumbing Code.
When is a mechanical permit required?
- Installing new HVAC systems.
- Altering existing HVAC systems.
- Replacement of an existing HVAC system.
There are no licensing requirements for HVAC system installers. All work done must be in compliance with the 2012 International Mechanical Code.