I see something I don't agree with, how do I let someone know?
The City does not have the man power to monitor all the different social media pages scanning for concerns from our residents. To make sure your concerns are heard/seen by the right people, it is best to simply call City Hall at 852-2611 to report your complaint. Please see the home page for our Staff Directory, or within the Departments section to find specific contacts.
Why wasn't all my trash collected?
- Trash cart is overweight.
- Trash cart lid is not fully closed.
- Trash cart is facing the wrong direction.
- Trash was placed for collection in boxes.
- Miscellaneous trash bags were placed on the ground. Trash can only be collected from the cart. Bags with Excess Bags stickers can be taken to the Transfer Station at no extra cost.
- Furniture, water heaters, stoves, washers, dryers, etc. are not collected with regular pickup and a large item sticker must be purchased from City Hall.
When do I put my trash out?
We ask that you put your trash out for collection between noon of the day before your scheduled collection and 6:00 a.m. the day of your scheduled collection. If you are not aware of your scheduled collection day, please contact City Hall 309-852-2611 ext 222 for assistance.
Why is there a weight limit for my trash containers?
Trash collection is limited to 150 pounds per trash cart. If your trash containers are too heavy, or the trash container does not fully close, they may not get emptied.
How many containers can be placed out for pickup each week?
Trash can only be picked up from the authorized City trash cart. Please contact City Hall if you would like to pay additional trash pickup fees to obtain an additional trash cart.
Where can I purchase City of Kewanee Excess Bag stickers?
Excess Bag stickers are $1.00 each and can be purchased at any of the following locations: City Hall, Becks (both locations), Farm King, JoJo's, CVS, Shell, Sullivan Foods, Wal-Mart, and Casey's.
If you still have the old yellow $0.50 stickers, they can still be used, you would just need to attach two yellow stickers to each bag.
How can I dispose of paint?
Fill the paint can with enough kitty litter or sand until any liquid is absorbed and cans are dry. Once cans are dry, you can dispose of the can in your regular garbage pickup.
How can I dispose of large items like furniture or an appliance?
Large items may be picked up curbside for a cost of $10.00 per item. Large item stickers can be purchased at City Hall and pickup is scheduled for collection every Monday (excluding holidays). This can include items such as mattresses, box springs, couches, recliners, laundry machines, appliances (free of freon), and large rolls of carpet.
Another option is to take the large items to the City Transfer Station.
Coupons are given once a year on residents' water bills to each address in either April or May. These coupons are redeemable for either a free dump fee (up to 1500 pounds) at the Transfer Station or for two large item pickup stickers.
Where is the Transfer Station?
The Transfer Station is located at 194 Fisher Avenue and is open Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Any days that the City offices are closed for holidays, the Transfer Station will also be closed.
What are the fees at the Transfer Station?
Transfer Station fees are asses by the weight of materials being disposed on each vehicle. There is a minimum charge of $10.00 for loads weighing 360 pounds or less. NOTICE - all loads transported to the Transfer Station must be tarped. Any person refusing or failing to comply with this requirement will be assessed a $50.00 fee in addition to other dumping charges, and may also be denied admittance to or use of the Transfer Station until such time as he is compliance with this requirement.
How can I pay at the Transfer Station?
The Transfer Station can accept payments by cash or check only.
How can I dispose of electronics?
The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency maintains a list of registered sites for electronics recycling. The closest site to Kewanee is Eagle Enterprises in Galva. The list can be viewed at http://epadata.epa.state.il.us/land/eWaste/collection-sites.asp. Collectors may charge a fee for premium services such as home pickup.
How can I report a nuisance public tree?
- Contact Public Works at City Hall by voice, email, or letter. The condition of the tree will be evaluated by City staff and appropriate action taken.
When can I burn?
On Wednesdays and Saturdays, during the months of April, May, June, September, October and November, from 8:00 a.m. to sunset.
Do I still have to verify with City Hall to see if it's a burn day?
YES. Even though it may be a Wednesday or Saturday during one of the defined burn months, you still need to call City Hall or check the city website to verify if it's a burn day.
Why do I need to verify with City Hall to see if it's a burn day?
The Chief of the Fire Department may prohibit burning on a defined burn day if any of the following conditions exist or may exist later in the day as determined by the National Weather Service forecast.
1. Wind speed exceeding 20 miles per hour, or less than 5 miles per hour.
2. Drought conditions which present an excessive risk for spreading of the open fire.
3. During a water shortage or other emergency.
4. If more than one-half inch of rain has fallen in the prior two days of the allowed burn day, which would result in heavy smoke.
5. An outdoor event of community wide interest.
6. If severe weather event is determined to be a possible safety concern as forecast by the National Weather Service.
What phone number do I call to see if it's a burn day?
Call 852-2611 and select option 6 after 8:00 a.m.
What and where can I burn?
Only on the property where the landscape waste was generated and the following criteria are followed:
1. Landscape material has dried, or is dry and will not result in excessive smoke.
2. No burning shall be conducted within 20 feet of any structure or combustible material, or directly under any tree limbs or wires.
3. Burn piles must be kept manageable by those attending to them and be less than 4 feet in height.
4. Ash resulting from the burning of landscape waste must be cooled by adding water and disposed.
5. Burning of grass clippings and weeds is prohibited.
6. All burn piles must be attended by a responsible person.
7. All fires must be extinguished and not be allowed to burn or continue to burn smoke after sunset.
8. Burning on public streets, alleys, highways, and public sidewalks is prohibited.
Why can't I burn grass clippings?
Grass clippings rarely burn efficiently because they retain moisture and they don't allow enough oxygen to get where it needs to be in order to support an efficient fire. This lack of oxygen results in a smoky smoldering pile of waste that can make it difficult for some residents to breathe.
Are there reduced water rates for filling swimming pools or irrigating lawns and gardens?
- No. All billings for water and sanitary sewer charges are based solely on volume of water used.
What codes apply to buildings in Kewanee?
- 2012 International Building Code.
- 2012 International Residential Code.
- 2012 International Property Maintenance Code.
- 2012 International Mechanical Code.
- 2014 National Electrical Code, or most recent version, this changes every two years.
- 2014 State of Illinois Plumbing Code.
- 2012 International Fire Prevention Code.
When is a building permit required?
- Constructing or altering a structure. Structures includes buildings, houses, garage, all swimming pools over 24, or more, inches deep, storage shed, gazebo, yard barns, whether portable or not.
- Constructing an addition to a structure.
- Changing the pitch on a roof.
- Installation of metallic siding on a building.
- Demolish or move a structure.
- Change the occupancy of a structure. For example changing an office building into a restaurant.
There is no licensing required for obtaining building permits. All work must be done in compliance with the 2012 International Building Code, 2012 International Residential Building Code, 2012 International Property Maintenance Code, 2012 BOCA National Fire Prevention Code, Illinois Accessibility Code and Kewanee Zoning Regulations.
When is a building permit not required?
- Replacing the roof covering of a building.
- Installation of non-metallic siding.
- Installation of a swimming pool less than 24 inches deep.
- Replacing an existing porch with another porch of the same size.
- Non-structural repairs and routine maintenance to existing structures. This may be such items as replacing windows, replacing roof coverings, painting, etc.
When is an electrical permit required?
- Installation of any new electrical wiring or equipment.
- Alterations to any electrical wiring or equipment.
- Additions to any electrical wiring or equipment.
Only licensed electricians may perform electrical work, with the exception that a person may perform electrical work at their residence. No matter who does the work, it all must be done in compliance with the 2014 National Electrical Code and Kewanee City Code.
When is a plumbing permit required?
- Installation of new piping or plumbing fixtures.
- Installation of new water and/or sanitary sewer service.
- Additions to existing piping or plumbing fixtures.
- Alterations to existing piping or plumbing fixtures.
- Any changes in piping to or from fixtures, or the removal, replacement, installation, or re-installation of piping or plumbing fixtures.
Only licensed plumbers may perform plumbing work, with the exception that a person may perform plumbing work at their residence. No matter who does the work, it all must be done in compliance with the State of Illinois Plumbing Code.
When is a mechanical permit required?
- Installing new HVAC systems.
- Altering existing HVAC systems.
- Replacement of an existing HVAC system.
There are no licensing requirements for HVAC system installers. All work done must be in compliance with the 2012 International Mechanical Code.