City Clerk
City Clerk
City Clerk

Contact:Kasey Mitchell

Phone:309-852-2611 Ext. 226


Responsibilities of the City Clerk include the duties of official scribe of the Council, developing the City Council agendas and coordinating the review of agenda items and supporting documentation, maintenance of city records, including the codification of Ordinances, Local Election Authority, and licensing authority.  

The City Clerk’s office is located in Kewanee City Hall, 401 East Third Street, Kewanee. Office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

Contact info:
City Clerk 
Phone: (309) 852-2611 ext 226

5 ILCS 140/1
The City Clerk is designated as the official to keep centralized records, files and information concerning the Freedom of Information Act and to coordinate activities responsive thereto among the various departments of the city. All public records, except those expressly made exempt by Section 7 of the Act, are available to any person for inspection or copying at the City Clerk’s Office in City Hall, 401 East Third Street, Kewanee, Illinois, on Monday through Friday, at 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. prevailing time, except holidays.

Written requests for information shall be submitted to Kasey Mitchell, City Clerk, at Kewanee City Hall, 401 East Third Street, Kewanee IL 61443.

Subject to the fee provision, a copy of any public record, except those exempt by Section 7 of the Act, shall be provided to any person making a written request. The City shall comply with the written request or deny such written request within five working days after its receipt. In the event the request cannot be filled within this five working-day period, the time may be extended for an additional five working days for reasons listed in 5 ILCS 140/3 (c). If the written request is denied, the denial will be by letter. Written requests may be submitted to the City Clerk’s Office in any form; however, for your convenience a form is provided below.

Pay license fees here.

The city has the authority to issue up to 50 liquor licenses in the City limits, through the local commissioner. In many cases, the request to sell liquor will also require a request for a special use permit.


Who is required to apply for an amusements license?
An amusements license is issued to establishments that operate coin activated amusement devices, this would include, but not be limited to jukeboxes, video games, billiard and pool tables, bowling alleys, and motion picture theaters.

Who is a peddler?
A peddler is defined as any person with no fixed place of business who goes from place to place, transporting goods or merchandise and offering the same for sale.

What if a peddler states they have a state license?
The peddler is still required to purchase a city license.

What is the cost of a peddler’s license?
The fee for a peddler’s license is $100 per year and is issued for the fiscal year of May 1st through April 30 of the following year.

When is a raffle license required?
A raffle license is required any time an organization or person sells chances at winning a prize. Chances can be sold for a maximum of 90 days. The license is valid for one raffle.  If an organization would like to sell chances for longer than the 90 day period or for multiple raffles, an annual raffle license is available.  The annual raffle license allows for a maximum of 25 raffles and is valid for 365 days from the date of issuance.

How much does a raffle license cost?
The cost of a raffle license is $10 for a single - sell chances for 90 days raffle or $100 for the annual license.  

Do I need an electrical license to personally perform work on my own home?
No, you do not need an electrical license if you are personally performing the electrical work. An electrical license is necessary if the work is hired out. An Electrical permit may be required.

Do I need a roofing license to personally perform the roofing work on my home?
No, you do not need a roofing license to perform roofing work on your own home. However, if you are changing the structure or pitch of the roof a building permit will be required. A roofing license is required if the roofing work is hired out.


All of the clerks in the City Clerk’s Office are deputy registrars and are able to accept a voter registration application at any time normally available per state statute. The City Clerk’s Office is open Monday – Friday 7 am to 5 pm, and is located at 401 East Third Street.

The City Clerk’s Office conducts in person early voting for most elections, at the request of the Henry County Clerk.

Voting FAQ’s

Where do I go to vote?
The list of polling places is available at: Polling Places

My child is away at college, can he/she still absentee vote?
Yes, they can absentee vote through the mail. An application can be obtained at the City Clerk or County Clerk’s office and then mailed to the Henry County Clerk, 307 West Center Street, Cambridge, IL 61238. The County Clerk will mail an absentee ballot to your child for voting.

I would like to early vote, can I vote at City Hall?
The early voting that takes place at City Hall timeframe is determined by the Henry County Clerk.  Early voting and mail in absentee voting are available through the Henry County Clerk, 307 West Center Street, Cambridge, IL 61238.